Learn why people trust wikiHow
How to Get Rid of a Pimple with No Head
Treating Blind PimplesTreating Pimples with No Head NaturallyCleansing Your FaceArticle SummaryQuestions & AnswersRelated ArticlesReferences
This article was co-authored by Jennifer Boidy, RN. Jennifer Boidy is a Registered Nurse in Maryland. She received her Associate of Science in Nursing from Carroll Community College in 2012.
There are 16 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page.
Pimples with no head, also called blind pimples, acne cysts, or nodules, are pimples that are so deep under the skin that they cannot release pus. Because the inflammation is deep under the skin and close to the nerves, these pimples are usually extremely painful. Blind pimples can lead to scarring, especially if you try to open or pop them since they have no head. If you have a blind pimple, you can learn how to treat them so they will go away with minimal pain or damage to your skin.
1Treating Blind Pimples
1Use a topical cream. One good way to treat a pimple with no head is to use a topical cream. You can use an antibiotic cream with anti-inflammatory properties, or try an acne cream containing salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide.
- You can also buy face wash containing salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide, which may work to reduce the swelling and clear up the bacteria causing the pimple.
- You can also try acne spot creams.
- Make sure to follow the directions on the anti-inflammatory cream or the acne creams.
2Use a warm compress. Soaking a pimple with no head with warm or hot water can help it come to a head faster, which can make it easier to treat and make it heal faster. Soak a washcloth or a cotton ball in some hot or warm water. Then, press it against the pimple for a few minutes.
- You can do this three times a day until the pimple comes to a head.
3Try an ice compress. Ice is helpful for painful pimples that have no head. The ice can help lessen any soreness under the skin and also help reduce redness and swelling. You can use an ice pack, ice cubes from your freezer, or even a bag of frozen vegetables. Leave it on for around 10 minutes. You can do this multiple times a day.
- Make sure to place some kind of cloth between your face and the ice. This helps prevent any damage to your skin from the ice.
4Visit your dermatologist. If you have blind pimples beneath the skin that won’t go away or won’t come to a head, you may want to visit a dermatologist. They can help you find a treatment plan that will get rid of the pimples and help prevent scarring. If none of the at-home methods are working, or the blind pimples are causing you severe pain, you should see your dermatologist.
- When you talk to your dermatologist, let them know the methods you have tried to get rid of the pimple.
- There are prescription medications and treatments that are often very effective in treating acne cysts.
2Treating Pimples with No Head Naturally
1Treat with tea tree oil. Tea tree oil a popular and effective natural remedy to help treat pimples. Tea tree oil provides antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory activity. This means that it can help reduce the swelling of your pimple trapped under the skin, along with fighting the bacteria causing it.
- Mix one drop of tea tree oil with nine drops of water. You may choose instead to dilute the tea tree oil with an oil instead, such as olive or mineral oil. You can also dilute it with aloe vera gel. Soak a cotton ball or a cotton swab in the tea tree oil mixture. Apply it on the blind pimple. Let it sit for 10 minutes, then rinse your face with warm water. You can do this three times a day.
- Make sure not to get tea tree oil near your eyes because it can cause irritation.
- Before you apply tea tree oil to the pimple, test for sensitivity. Apply one drop of tea tree oil to your wrist and wait for about 15 minutes. If you see no reaction, it is safe to use on your pimple.
2Try a warm tea compress. Tea can be helpful in treating blind pimples. Green tea and black tea both have tannins, which have anti-inflammatory properties. Combined with a warm compress, tea can help reduce the swelling of your pimple.
- Steep either green or black tea bag in warm water. Remove the tea bag and place it directly on the blind pimple. The tea acts as an astringent, which also helps draws out the pimple.
3Use honey. Honey is a common home remedy for blind pimples. Honey is antimicrobial and antibacterial, which helps fight the bacteria clogging your pores. Honey also can help nourish and heal your skin. Try spreading honey over the pimple with no head, and leave it there for around 20 minutes. Rinse with warm water.
- Try making a mask by combining honey with apple pulp. Apples are good for blind pimples because the malic acid is believed to firm the skin. Put a cored apple into a food processor or blender and blend until it is a pulp. Mix with the honey to form a mask-like paste. Cover the pimple with this and leave it on for up to 20 minutes before washing off.
4Soak the pimple in milk. Milk is a natural beauty product used in many at-home and folk remedies. Milk has alpha hydroxy acids in it, which helps remove dead skin and unclog pores. This can help your blind pimple by helping to remove the clogged outer layer. This may also help bring the pimple to a head so you can remove the pus from inside.
- Apply milk directly onto the pimple with no head using a cotton ball. Let the milk stay on for at least 20 minutes before rinsing with warm water.
- You can do this three or four times a day.
5Apply aloe vera. Aloe vera is a great alternative to get rid of blind pimples for those with sensitive skin. Aloe vera is antibacterial and anti-inflammatory, which means it can help reduce the swelling and redness of the pimple and fight the bacteria causing it. You may choose to use the leaf of an aloe vera plant or aloe vera gel.
- Spread the aloe vera onto the blind pimple. Let it set for around 20 minutes. You can do this up to three times a day.
6Make an apple cider vinegar toner. Apple cider vinegar has antibacterial and antiseptic properties. This means it can help fight the bacteria causing the pimple and make the pimple come to a head. Apply apple cider vinegar to the pimple using a cotton ball.
- If you have sensitive skin, dilute the apple cider vinegar in a ratio of one part vinegar to four parts water before apply to the pimple.
3Cleansing Your Face
1Wash your face twice a day. The best way to prevent blind pimples is proper face hygiene. This means you should wash your face and areas with pimples twice a day. You may want to take a bath or shower once a day to remove dirt and oil from your entire body.
- Always wash your face after any activities where you sweat a lot.
- Avoid touching your face as well because this can introduce bacteria to the skin on your face.
2Use a gentle cleanser. If you are having trouble with blind pimples under your skin, cleanse your face with a gentle, plant-oil based product. When choosing a face wash, look for one labeled non-comedogenic. Non-comedogenic products do not lead to the formation of pimples.
- Examples of non-comedogenic products include Neutrogena, Cetaphil, and Olay. Many store-brand products or generic products are also non-comedogenic. Always check the label to make sure.
- Use alcohol-free products on your face because alcohol irritates and may damage the skin.
3Use your fingers instead of a cloth. When you wash your face, use your fingertips to wash. Washcloths and sponges may irritate the skin, which can lead to more problems. Massage the face wash gently in a circular motion.
- Avoid scrubbing your face. This can cause scarring.
My skin is under control but when it comes to my period, it goes crazy. Is there a way to prevent that?
Well, the change in hormones around that time of the month is responsible for your breakouts. You can take extra care with your skin care routine the week before, but there isn't a great natural way to stop them. Eating well and staying hydrated helps. Another option is going on a hormonal birth control, which should level out your hormones and fix your monthly issue.
How do I get rid of pimples soon?
Use any sulfur soap daily and apply Olay whitening cream for best results.
I'm only 10 and I have so many zits with no head on my forehead that are sore. How do I get rid of them over night?
Never try to burst them, as they will just get infected, and hurt more. Using cold water may helpful, too, as it closes the pores. Drink lots of water, as fluids will help moisturize your skin and help make the zits go away. Make sure you get lots of sleep, eat fruit and vegetables and exercise. All this can help make spots not come often and, hopefully, disappear.
I have so many pimples. What are some solutions I can try?
You can apply toothpaste on them at night. You have to keep your face clean. Drink water and eat healthy foods.
I usually only get acne during the week while I'm in school, then on the weekends it goes away. Why is that?
Acne is often caused by stress, and school is stressful for many people, so that's probably why you get it during the school week.
There is hard pimple on my eye. I've had it nearly 3 months and it is not bursting because it has no head. Went to skin doctor who said to have it broken with injection at the eye hospital. Should I do it?
It sounds like it's not a pimple, but rather a sty, which is a little benign white growth that is common by the eyes. Usually the only way to get rid of those is to have a doctor remove it, so your doctor is probably right.
I have so many blackheads on my skin that whenever I apply lotion on my face, it becomes clogged with oils. When I squeeze my pores, oil comes out. What should I do?
Make sure you're washing your face often enough, at least twice a day if you have naturally oily skin. Also, you probably shouldn't put lotion on your face, or at least choose one that is lighter and meant for oily facial skin, like CeraVe.
Why do I have a lot of pimples?
Pimples usually come up because of stress, puberty, naturally oily skin and/or excessive sweating. You also have to make sure you're washing your face twice a day to control the skin's oil and sweat levels.
Ask a Question
- Never try to force a pimple without a head to pop. Don’t squeeze the pimple to try to get a head to form faster.
- Don’t use toothpaste to try to treat the pimple. Toothpaste can cause skin irritation.
If you need to get rid of a pimple with no head, soak a washcloth in hot water, then press the cloth against the pimple for about 5 minutes, as many as 3 times a day until the pimple comes to a head. If the pimple is painful, apply a cloth-wrapped ice pack to the area for about 10 minutes at a time, several times a day if needed. A drop of diluted tea tree oil, apple cider vinegar, milk, or aloe vera gel applied to the pimple may also help speed the healing process and ease your discomfort. To learn more from our Registered Nurse co-author about how to prevent pimples from coming in, continue reading below!
- What if I do 1
- Does the Nokia 1100 have any OS
- How can DC save its cinematic universe
- When was the violin invented
- Why there is intelligence in natural evolution
- Why was Cabrini Green demolished
- What is the hardest type of diamond
- Who originally lived in the Caribbean
- How does a Chinese keyboard work
- Do CAs become accountants of big companies
- Which cryptocurrency mining is legal in India
- What are drugs that Valeant makes
- Is the seventh dimension inconceivable
- What is your favorite hyperbole
- Why is dissertation so important
- What are the back muscles called
- What are the best transportation investments
- Whats the best video on YouTube
- Is this forum only for rich people
- Who is the leader of the BJP