Lesson #02: Basic Concepts of Democracy
Baron Montesquieu and John Locke
This lesson explores core concepts of American democracy such as majority rule, the equality of all persons and the need to compromise.
- What is democracy?
- What are central concepts in the American Democratic System?
- Title: 02.title.png
- Large newsprint, Post-Its
- Video: The American Promise Acts 1-5, Responsibility in a Democracy (call The American Promise at 1-800-204-7722 for a free copy).
- Student Guide 1: Democratic Concepts
- Student Guide 2: Responsibility in a Democracy
Prepare a list of key concepts related to democracy. Suggestions follow.
- Fundamental Worth of the Individual
- Majority Rule with Minority Rights
- Necessity of Compromise
- Individual Freedom
- Equality of All Persons
Write each concept on a piece of newsprint or large Post-It and place them around the room. Place a magic marker with each poster.
Begin class by asking students to think about how each of the concepts listed on th board relates to democracy. Then ask students to rank the concepts in order of importance to a democratic society. reinforce that there is no correct answer.
- Does HDMI to VGA reduce quality
- How can i calculate impact force
- What is the Automated Microbiology market size
- Where can I download a world map?no_redirect=1
- Was Ravan a Hindu
- What is a Zorian Elixir
- Can I visit Ladakh in March
- Does download speed affect upload speed
- Where was the Kriegsmarine during D Day
- What are your thoughts on big data
- Is love an obsolete concept
- What is the easiest accounting course
- When was the first Chevrolet car invented
- Does Amazon ship books to Mauritius
- Have people filmed their own death
- Are you a bad neighbour?no_redirect=1
- What were Captain Kirk s final words