Key point: The role of navies worldwide has expanded in the past several decades to include new missions and challenges.
It’s a universal truth handed down since antiquity: a country with a coastline has a navy. Big or small, navies worldwide have the same basic mission—to project military might into neighboring waters and beyond.
The peacetime role of navies has been more or less the same for thousands of years. Navies protect the homeland, keep shipping routes and lines of communication open, show the flag and deter adversaries. In wartime, a navy projects naval power in order to deny the enemy the ability to do the same. This is achieved by attacking enemy naval forces, conducting amphibious landings, and seizing control of strategic bodies of water and landmasses.
The role of navies worldwide has expanded in the past several decades to include new missions and challenges. Navies are now responsible for a nation’s strategic nuclear deterrent, defense against ballistic missiles, space operations, humanitarian assistance and disaster relief. With that in mind, here are the five most powerful navies in the world.
First place on the list is no surprise: the United States Navy. The U.S. Navy has the most ships by far of any navy worldwide. It also has the greatest diversity of missions and the largest area of responsibility.
No other navy has the global reach of the U.S. Navy, which regularly operates in the Pacific, Atlantic and Indian Oceans, as well as the Mediterranean, Persian Gulf and the Horn of Africa. The U.S. Navy also forward deploys ships to Japan, Europe and the Persian Gulf.
The U.S. Navy has 288 battle force ships, of which typically a third are underway at any given time. The U.S. Navy has 10 aircraft carriers, nine amphibious assault ships, 22 cruisers, 62 destroyers, 17 frigates and 72 submarines. In addition to ships, the U.S. Navy has 3,700 aircraft, making it the second largest air force in the world. At 323,000 active and 109,000 personnel, it is also the largest navy in terms of manpower.
Read the original article.
- Are 500 and 1000 accepted in casino
- What is Quoras image policy 1
- Are all plants safe to eat
- Why does my mood keep swinging
- Is optimism a correct view of life
- Is Indian whiskey a molasses based whiskey
- How do I make besan puda
- Is science factual
- What is the Home Buying process?no_redirect=1
- What contains phosphoric acid
- What is 6 times 6
- Why does Islam prohibit girls from singing
- How can I better serve Satan
- Which is the best inverter company
- Who sings the song Brain Damage
- How do rain increase Vitamin B12 levels
- TOP 10 HR SOFTWARE LIST
- How can I make music production lucrative
- How can I reduce inflammation naturally