The CDC determined the nutritional density of these greens by looking at how well they fulfilled the average person’s daily requirement for 17 important nutrients: potassium, fiber, protein, calcium, iron, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folate, zinc, and vitamins A, B, B, C, D, E, and K.
They assigned each food a specific nutrient density score, on a scale of zero to 100, that calculates to what extent 100 grams of each green includes the daily recommended amount of these 17 nutrients, assuming a 2,000 calorie diet.
Here’s what they found:
fastudio4 via Getty Images
Nutrient Density Score: 18.28Poor iceberg lettuce -- it doesn't have the best reputation. And while the salad green might be at the low-ranking end of this list, it still contains fiber, potassium, zinc, calcium, folate, Vitamin A, and Vitamin K. Plus, it has a high water content, which is always a good thing.
Lecic via Getty Images
Nutrient Density Score: 86.43Spinach is a nutritional powerhouse. It's loaded with vitamin K and A, as well as manganese and folate.
rodrigobark via Getty Images
Nutrient Density Score: 100Watercress contains 106 percent of your daily recommended intake for vitamin K, 22 percent for vitamin A and 24 percent for vitamin C. It also contains calcium, iron and magnesium.
Knowledge is power. Now go make some salads!
This Delicious Condiment Is A Genius Use For Using Up Old, Wilted Lettuce
Here's What The Lettuce In Your Salad Actually Does For Your Body
15 Salad Recipes For People Who Hate Lettuce
- What is nanodegree
- Is HomeAdvisor available in Canada
- What distinguishes BPD from complex PTSD
- What diet should I take
- What is the meaning of blatant bias
- Where does Amazon invest its money
- What was the worst category 5 hurricane
- Why are car manufacturers still producing supercars
- What are your best lawn maintenance tips
- Do you need a life coach
- Is uniform compulsory in TNAU
- Which is the best SAP or PHP
- What is Arch Linux
- What is Indian Mentality
- What is q 1 2 nv2
- Why are people interested in fashion
- Was Pain too reliant on his Rinnegan
- Why is tonic water goof for arthritis
- How many volts in thunder
- Is fantasy sports considered gambling