[ aw-tuh-meyt ]
/ ˈɔ təˌmeɪt /
SEE SYNONYMS FOR automate ON THESAURUS.COM
verb (used with object),au·to·mat·ed,au·to·mat·ing.
to apply the principles of automation to (a mechanical process, industry, office, etc.).
to operate or control by automation.
to displace or make obsolete by automation (often followed by out): The unskilled jobs are going to be automated out.
verb (used without object),au·to·mat·ed,au·to·mat·ing.
to install automatic procedures, as for manufacturing or servicing; follow or utilize the principles of automation: Many banks have begun to automate.
Words nearby automate
automaker, automanipulation, automat, automata, automata theory, automate, automated teller machine, automated-teller machine, automatic, automatic beat, automatic camera
Origin of automate
First recorded in 1950–55; back formation from automation
OTHER WORDS FROM automateau·to·mat·a·ble, adjectivede-au·to·mate, verb,de-au·to·mat·ed,de-au·to·mat·ing.non·au·to·mat·ed, adjectiveun·au·to·mat·ed, adjective
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2020
Examples from the Web for automated
Because GRBs are so rare, the best way to look for them is with an automated observatory.
The Gamma-Ray Burst That Wasn’t|Matthew R. Francis|June 1, 2014|DAILY BEAST
After all, the automated database is only as good as the information the judges feed into it.
Law-Breaking Judges Took Cases That Could Make Them Even Richer|Reity O’Brien, Kytja Weir, Chris Young, Center for Public Integrity|April 28, 2014|DAILY BEAST
I emailed yodel to explain an got a automated reply saying my parcel has been delivered and signed for?
Penis Beakers and Constipated Dolls: What Mothers REALLY Want To Know|Tom Sykes|October 11, 2013|DAILY BEAST
Most definitely not the robots who brought us the automated joy on Twitter.
Horse_ebooks Is Dead|Brian Ries|September 24, 2013|DAILY BEAST
British Dictionary definitions for automated
to make (a manufacturing process, factory, etc) automatic, or (of a manufacturing process, etc) to be made automatic
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Can cancer increase blood pressure?no_redirect=1
- Why are you applying for this internship
- What does the power of three mean
- How can I repair a torn frenulum
- What are some subtopics of biology
- What is central boiler heating systems
- Why is audio equipment so expensive
- Do narcissistic people appreciate music
- Why are commodities traded as futures
- Why is Chicagos population shrinking
- How many lies did you tell today
- What causes false memories or memory gaps
- Do teenage boys still get spanked
- Which Indian actress aged gracefully
- What are the benefits of Dutch citizenship
- Is NASA still exploring outer space
- What is the Swedish word for grandma
- How is early brain plasticity adaptive
- How old is Oliver Queen in Arrow