If you’re in the market for a new car, there is a specification you should have high on your list: Greenhouse gas emissions.
After Volkswagen was discovered to have cheated the Environmental Protection Agency’s emissions tests with a “defeat device” on about 11 million diesel vehicles, greater attention has been placed on pollutants cars on the road are emitting. The VW VOW, -0.32% cars were found to have been emitting 40 times the EPA standard for nitrous oxide, a gas that can cause public health issues like asthma and respiratory illness.
While auto makers continue to produce more alternative fuel and hybrid vehicles, gasoline- and diesel-powered cars still prove popular among buyers. While these cars have been improving overall fuel efficiency, it is still important to keep an eye on how much greenhouse gas they emit per gallon of gas burned for the benefit of the environment and public health.
Read: Tesla Model X comes with ‘bioweapon defense mode’
As 2016 model year vehicles continue to fill dealer lots, here are the vehicles—in both the alternative fuel/hybrid and gasoline categories—with the lowest emissions in six EPA-classified segments, according to the agency’s tests. The EPA considers carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide and fluorinated gases—man-made gases that remain in the atmosphere—as the primary greenhouse gases it tests for.
Cars are ranked on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the most environmentally friendly, for air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions. Testing data is as of July 2015.
- Can you reach peak physical conditions
- Does exercise create neurons
- What is international poverty line
- Do boys have a sweet sixteen
- What is the collective noun of ants
- How can I download from Spotify
- Do you hack
- How far can small dogs run
- How can DC save its cinematic universe
- Which are the best Christmas party outfits
- Can schools sue the government for funding
- How much does age matter when hiring
- Why is pizza so popular across globe
- How do you say croissant in Spanish
- What is the major problem of corruption
- Which punctuation mark is most frequently misused
- Are there any talking plants
- How many types of vitamins are there