Better concentration and focus makes life easier and more productive. Especially for students, focus and concentration are the key powers to ace any exam. But most of us struggle to concentrate our brain power for long time or at different moments. And when you are not able to concentrate well, everything you do seems harder and takes longer than normal time.
What controls our concentration power?
Concentration is the power of focusing or directing one's whole attention in accordance with one's will. This mental activity is controlled by a number of hormones. Here, in this article we will discuss the various hormones which affect the concentration power and learning ability of a person.
Dopamine, also named as the motivation molecule, is a hormone that provides the drive and focus you need to accomplish your tasks in the most productive way. This hormone is primarily involved with the attention span, focus and motivation. It is a neurohormone that is released by the hypothalamus.
Lack of dopamine in the body is associated with symptoms like fatigue, lack of focus, difficulty in concentrating, forgetfulness, insomnia and lack of motivation
How to accelerate release of Dopamine?
- Eat foods rich in tyrosine like almonds, bananas, eggs, yogurt, milk, beans, fish, and chicken. Tyrosine is an amino acid that serves as a precursor to dopamine.
- Regular exercise is the best way to increases the production of new brain cells including the excretion of dopamine.
- Meditation, which is a practice of de-stressing, helps to increase dopamine leading to improved focus and concentration.
- A sound and plenty sleep helps to bust the stress and consequently increases dopamine produce in brain.
- Listening your favourite music gives you a pleasurable feeling, removes the stress and help to improve your focus and concentration which happens due to an increase in dopamine levels.
Actually, every activity which works as a stress buster for you helps to boost the excretion of dopamine hormone in brain.
How to Improve Your Concentration Power?
Say no to caffeine: Many students or other people when got tired or lost their track of concentration, often take coffee to regain their focusing power. It acts as an instant solution as caffeine that involved in coffee is very effective at increasing dopamine levels. However, it end up disrupting the natural dopamine production process resulting in decreased dopamine production in the long-term which is quite harmful for human nervous system.
2. Thyroid Hormone
Thyroid hormones affect the production of two main neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine. All the neurotransmitters need to be built from amino acids. Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins. So, to ensure the enough quantity of amino acids in your body, you must take enough proteins. After getting proteins in your diet, it is the primarily stomach acid that helps to release amino acids out of proteins. Here, thyroxine has been shown to play the vital role in the production of stomach acid which ultimately helps to increase the level of dopamine in brain. Optimal thyroid levels are connected with quicker thinking, longer memory and higher IQ levels.
3. Human Growth Hormone
Human Growth Hormones have a direct correlation with smart and efficient working of brain and nervous system. One way HGH affects the brain tissue is by bringing about increased concentration of the brain's neurotransmitters. In addition to increasing short- and long-term memory, improved concentration, growth hormone has the added benefit of reducing stress, allowing you to mentally prioritize better and come up with efficient solutions to problems.
Pregnenolone is a steroid hormone produced from cholesterol. It directly stimulates the production of new neurons and protects the nerves from toxicity. It also stimulates the neurons’ activity. Pregnenolone boosts mood and relieves depression which in turn improves your concentration power.
Pregnenolone also enhances learning and memory as it boosts the release of acetylcholine, which is responsible for the formation of new memories in brain.
Pregnenolone also promotes deep sleep which ultimately acts as a booster for concentration and focus ability.
Which hormone adversely affects the brains concentration power and learning ability?
Cortisol, also known as stress hormone is the one which affects the function of brain in the worst manner draining out all your memories. Excessive anxiety results in the production of cortisol in human body. That is why stress and anxiety can make it almost impossible for the student to focus on their exam and it is often the case that they struggle to recall things that they have studied. Cortisol impairs the speed of memory retrieval in humans.
- Why did JuicyCampus com fail
- Is Hother Umber gay
- Why wont Glogster work on my Mac
- How can I melt copper at home
- Is Biji Trump really Kurdish
- Which one is better fruit or water
- What are the CCTS Pakistan relations
- Do you use Xero in the UAE
- Is Nora Fatehi overrated
- What do Eastern Asians think of Muslims
- What do narcissists crave
- How can overthinking be useful
- Why do some people hate being filmed
- How can I become a perfect Muslim
- What are Giffen goods 1