A servlet is a Java class which is used to extend the capabilities of servers that host applications accessed by means of a request-response model. Servlets are mainly used to extend the applications hosted by webs servers, however, they can respond to other types of requests too. For such applications, HTTP-specific servlet classes are defined by Java Servlet technology.
A JSP is a text document which contains two types of text: static data and dynamic data. The static data can be expressed in any text-based format (like HTML, XML, SVG and WML), and the dynamic content can be expressed by JSP elements.
Difference between Servlet and JSP
|Servlet is a java code.||JSP is a html based code.|
|Writing code for servlet is harder than JSP as it is html in java.||JSP is easy to code as it is java in html.|
|Servlet plays a controller role in MVC approach.||JSP is the view in MVC approach for showing output.|
|Servlet is faster than JSP.||JSP is slower than Servlet because the first step in JSP lifecycle is the translation of JSP to java code and then compile.|
|Servlet can accept all protocol requests.||JSP only accept http requests.|
|In Servlet, we can override the service() method.||In JSP, we cannot override its service() method.|
|In Servlet by default session management is not enabled, user have to enable it explicitly.||In JSP session management is automatically enabled.|
|In Servlet we have to implement everything like business logic and presentation logic in just one servlet file.||In JSP business logic is separated from presentation logic by using javaBeans.|
|Modification in Servlet is a time consuming task because it includes reloading, recompiling and restarting the server.||JSP modification is fast, just need to click the refresh button.|
To read more about them in detail, read these articles on Servlet and JSP.
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to [email protected] See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
- Is Allah just an imagination of Mohammad
- Are complexes and compounds different
- What Halloween candy is already vegan
- Can C sharp be learned through YouTube
- How much does a red kangaroo eat
- What is Keto bliss
- Is Uber the app made using Xcode
- What is your opinion of single mothers
- How can I download videos from Lapalingo
- What happened during the Mexico Olympics
- What is the gravity of Titan
- Which is the best Indian language
- Who sings the song Strike It Up
- Who are better NSG or Marcos
- What makes SPI faster than I2C
- Is Zerodha a Depository Participant or not
- Why was the flag code established
- How does Albanian differ from other languages
- Who would win the Avengers or Pennywise