Sirius A and B.
NASA / ESA / G. Bacon (STScI)
The brightest star in the sky is Sirius, also known as the “Dog Star” or, more officially, Alpha Canis Majoris, for its position in the constellation Canis Major. Sirius is a binary star dominated by a luminous main sequence star, Sirius A, with an apparent magnitude of -1.46. Sirius A’s apparent brightness can be attributed both to its inherent luminosity, 20 times that of the Sun, and its proximity. At just 8.7 light years away, Sirius is the seventh closest star to Earth.
In 1844, Friedrich Wilhelm Bessel suggested that the slightly wavy path of Sirius A through the sky, compared to that of background stars, indicated a fainter companion. Alvan Clark confirmed the companion’s existence in 1862. Now known to be a white dwarf and nicknamed the "Pup," Sirius B is easily spotted in a large telescope, but contributes little to the system’s total apparent brightness. Up for a real observing challenge? Read how you can spot Sirius B in "Sirius B — A New Pup in My Life," by contributing editor Bob King.
Given that other stars are closer to Earth than Sirius, why don't they appear brighter? Just as most grains of sand on a beach are small, the majority of stars in our galaxy — indeed, in the universe — are dwarfs: red dwarfs, to be exact. Along with their smaller size, they're correspondingly dim. In fact, the closest star to the Sun, Proxima Centauri, is a red dwarf. This M-class star is smaller and less luminous than our G-class Sun, and far smaller and less luminous than the brightest star, A-class Sirius. (The full sequence of stars is OBAFGKM, known by the famous "Oh Be A Fine Girl/Guy, Kiss Me!" acronym. Read more about how stars are classified here.)
Find Sirius with our Northern Hemisphere star wheel.
Astronomy Questions & Answers, Resources and Education, Science-based Q&A
9,096 Stars in the Sky—Is That All?
How Far is the Closest Star?
What are constellations?
How Many Stars are There in the Universe?
How Do Stars Die and How Long Do Stars Live?
- What is the scope of textile engineering
- Why should pluto remain a planet
- Who is Donald Trumps role model
- Is Telugu Desam a family party
- Whats your best peeing experience
- How should a christian respond to fear
- Why do people no longer want waterbeds
- Which is best safely shoes brand
- Why does Muslim culture hate women
- Is Dart a good language for beginners
- What is medical coding like
- What is the best cherry pipe tobacco
- Is saline water good for wounds
- How far is McMinville from Portland
- When does a computer create data
- How do private colleges make money
- How can I find this workout equipment
- Have bullets saved a life
- Are there any thalidomide babies still alive
- Which NBA teams do Alaskans support