Far from a battle cry, 화이팅hwaiting is a commonly used word of encouragement, as well as a cheer. I’m told it made its way into Korean from its obvious English origin via the Japanese—and hence the unusual pronunciation. Language purists insist that it should be spelled 파이팅paiting to reflect a closer approximation to the English word fighting. (As I typed 화이팅 above, and again here, the spell check tried to change it to 파이팅!) However, it’s universally pronounced hwaiting and so you will encounter both spellings. Although in use for decades, it’s inclusion into dictionaries has been met with some reluctance, still considered merely slang.
You’ll often hear Koreans try to translate 화이팅 as fighting, understandably, but we can actually translate it a couple of ways, depending on the situation…
At sporting events, the crowd will cheer on their team with 화이팅, sometimes preceded by 아자, 아자! aja aja! just to get pumped up, and in international matches: 대한민국, 회이팅!! daehanmin-guk, hwaiting!! or even 코리아 화이팅!! koria hwaiting!! Go, Korea!!
To wish someone luck before a difficult endeavor, such as before a test, parachuting out of a plane or approaching a woman in a bar! 파이팅! hwaiting! Good luck!
If you are looking for more materials to help you learn the Korean language, check out transparent.com for free resources like Korean Word of the Day and our Korean Facebook community, or try the new free trial of our self-guided online Korean language course.
For more language learning advice, free resources, and information about how we can help you reach your language goals, select the most relevant newsletter(s) for you and sign up below.
Tags:pop culture, Vocabulary
- Does anyone ever have enough money
- Are you money driven or career driven
- Was San Francisco built on a landfill
- What neurotransmitters are linked to anxiety Why
- Why should you harvest your own food
- How much phenylethylamine is in dark chocolate
- Is Michelle Obamas hair natural
- Which notable game developers work for Google
- Should I text him late at night
- Is the Cadillac CTS V ugly
- How would you fix Facebooks privacy problems
- Why do many people hate helping others
- What animals were around before the dinosaurs
- Will Vietnam Airlines fly to the US
- How do I resume Google Chrome downloads
- Do M MS really not melt
- Do all NFL players have college degrees
- Why is SEO a boring job