Patriotism vs. Belonging: How Olympics Advertisers Should Address Differing Audience Values
Why do people really watch the Olympics? Resonate surveyed two audiences within the Olympics viewing population as key influencers:
• 4,483 people who value patriotism and support their country and its athletes
• 1,785 people who value belonging and show general interest in this worldwide phenomenon and just want to be included in its spirit
We took a closer look at how these groups differ and how their individual motivations should impact the top marketing campaigns of the 2014 Winter Olympics.
The findings between these two audiences are quite polarized. Those motivated by patriotism are more likely to value energy efficiency (16%), environmental preservation (155%), and health (29%). Those who value belonging are more likely to be motivated by self-fulfillment (60%), self-image (224%), and self-esteem (58%). Addressing these values will enrich ad campaign tailoring and allow marketers to identify and profit from select subgroups within who value and act on each motivation respectively.
Knowing these differences is important because marketers spend millions on Olympic ad campaigns to reach mass audiences. But mass audiences no longer exist. The global viewing audience is fragmented in their ideologies despite feelings of unity fostered by the Olympics. Viewers own a variety of different motivations which brands must speak to independently to fuel consumer action.
Patriotism and belonging are driving forces that compel people around the world to tune into these gladiator games. Appealing to the social perspectives of patriotic sports fans and the self-interested vantages of those who value belonging will allow marketers to speak directly to both audiences and guarantee more effective campaigning and more responsive consumer behavior.
- Are Arabs good warriors
- Buildings Where is the highest elevator
- What does a licensing agreement allow
- What happens when our blood ph changes
- What constitutes contract fraud
- Why does specific viscosity have no unit
- Do you like your squeaky shoes
- What are the types of digital strategies
- Why do I not enjoy happiness
- Why do some people defend Pulwama attackers
- Did Mother Teresa perform any miracles
- Why do artists paint
- Is the Illuminati legal in Pakistan
- What exactly comes under childhood trauma
- Where is there no gravity on Earth
- What does pure soul mean?no_redirect=1
- What are some learning resources about metalogic